[clue-talk] Whiny Bitches

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Thu May 29 23:19:03 MDT 2008

Hi David,
I find your categorizations of people interesting.  Which group do you
put yourself in?

I have an example for you.  Your big issue, politically, is abortion.
In the past, I've posted a link that contains statistics, gathered by
the CDC, that shows abortions increased under Reagan, Bush Sr, and
decreased only very slightly under GWBush.  But, those same statistics
show that abortion dropped dramatically under Bill Clinton.  Many
experts say it was because of his wife's emphasis on sex ed.

So, it is safe to assume that Hillary Clinton will usher in a new age of
dropping abortion rates.

So, why aren't you campaigning for Hillary?  You want to reduce
abortions, right?  A Clinton in the White House is the only proven way
of reducing abortions.  Or are you one of those who are always
complaining, but won't take the obvious path to solving the problem?

-Dave

P.S.  Here's my previous email on the subject. 09/26/07, titled "Re: How
do CLUEbies vote?"

I was pretty surprised to hear there are 47 million abortions a year, so
I took the liberty of looking it up.
The CDC has really good data, but I wasn't able to find it in raw form.
 I found it organized very well on Johnston's Archive.  I've never heard
of Johnston's Archive, but it says it uses CDC data and it's numbers
seem to match up with articles from the CDC website.  The Johnston's
Archive website doesn't seem to have a political affiliation.  The guy
who makes it is a doctorate student at U Texas.  Cool picture of him
with a missile on the "About me" page.  I have links to some articles
from the CDC website below.

The data goes up to 2003.  In 2003 we were at 850k abortions, with a
high of around 1.4m.  So, 47m worldwide is a realistic number.  I was
kind of hoping that number was made up.
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/ab-unitedstates.html
Reagan: Went up and down, with a net change of something around 85k more
abortions at the end of his term.
Bush Sr: Up, up, up, down, down.  Net change of 17k-ish up
Clinton: Down for 7 of his 8 years.  Net change of almost 500k down!
GWBush: down, up, down.  A net of 11k down.

For a comparison with GWB, Clinton was down 15k from 1992 to 1995.
The fact is that Clinton lowered the number of abortions more than any
of Reagan, Bush Sr and GWB did.  This can be for a number of reasons,
which I'm sure we'll argue about, but you can't argue with results.

Look, no one wants to kill babies.  The abortion debate (not the
question, the debate) has gotten out of hand and is no longer about
abortion.  It's about cheap theater.  It's about mobilizing your base.

Here's some good stuff from the CDC page:
NCHS - 1999 Fact Sheet - US Pregnancy Rate Lowest in Two Decades
<http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/99facts/pregrate.htm>
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/99facts/pregrate.htm

Factsheet on teenpreg.doc
<http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/factsheets/teenpreg.pdf>
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/factsheets/teenpreg.pdf
(it says teen pregnancy dropped from 1990 - 2000

*Estimated Pregnancy Rates for the United States, 1990-2000: An Update*
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr52/nvsr52_23.pdf

Disclaimer:  I didn't read all of these articles closely.  Mostly I was
just checking to see if Johnston's Archive's numbers were correct.  And
I didn't do a very close job of it.  Feel free to check my work.

-Dave