[clue-talk] Whiny Bitches

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 30 13:00:43 MDT 2008

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> What amazes me is that religious pro-life movement doesn't see abortion
> as so extremely bad that they'd be willing to let someone use condoms.
> Using a condom has to be 1,000,000 times less sinful than an abortion.
> So my point is, the real problem with pro-life groups is that they're
> more focused on their religious agenda than their pro-life agenda.  A
> group really focused on the abortion issue itself wouldn't have all
> these trappings (abstinence, human at conception, etc.) because they'd
> really be concerned about the PEOPLE being KILLED instead of their own
> overall ideal world.

I've never seen this behavior other than from the Catholics who believe
contraception is wrong.  (And they're even softer on that today than
when I was young.)

The vast majority of pro-life groups are not Catholics, and certainly do
condone other methods of birth-control.

I disagree with your observations.  You're trying to twist those
observations into something that can't be done... removing emotion and
religious beliefs from politics.

You can go all the way back to the founders of the country, and see that
even they struggled with this.  The religious beliefs of the founders of
the country are littered in the historical writings, letters, and
documents that founded the nation.

> I'd prefer a candidate who is anti-abortion but simply for the reason of
> logic that it's wrong to kill people.  People in office really shouldn't
> let their religious beliefs dictate policy.  This may mean that both
> sides have to give up "control" over the issue let the scientific and
> medical community say when something is human, and stop leaving it up to
> politics.

The scientific and medical communities are good, but scientists who
aren't also religious in their personal lives are rare, same with
Doctors.

And following science or medicine blindly is also a religion unto itself.

You can't separate religion and politics, any more than you can separate
thought and emotion.

Nate