[clue-talk] abolish abortion in america

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat May 31 09:44:26 MDT 2008

Collins Richey wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:21 AM, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:
>

>> Are you ready to defend your position now, or are you content to snipe at me from the
>> bushes?
>>

> I'm not interested in sniping, and I'm sure that both Davids are good
> people. In the case where one has the unchallengeable belief that
> abortion is murder, then rational discussion must end.

That's a bit unfair.  I can't speak for David, but as someone who
considers himself pro-life (although pro-life people may disagree since
I'm willing to concede that society doesn't have to believe in "human at
conception"), it's very very simple:  you cannot kill another human.  If
there's another human there, then it's not a choice.  How can it be?
You can argue there is no human life there.  But then David's "belief"
is simply in what constitutes human life.  The abortion of a human is
"murder" by definition.  The abortion of a bunch of cells is not.  You
make it sound like David has an unreasonable and irrational belief and
therefore no one can discuss it with him.  Yet, I haven't seen a single
person really answer his questions directly.

And in David's defense, I'm sure he doesn't mean "murder" in the legal
sense:  I'm sure he just means you're killing a person.  So fine, it can
be called manslaughter or downgraded from "murder."

And by the way, this is a social issue, not a religious issue:

http://www.godlessprolifers.org/
http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml9602.htm

Angelo