[clue-talk] Wow, Card's a little political...

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Sat Nov 1 00:29:25 MDT 2008

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Yeah, but he's also black.  And whether people want to admit it or not,
> that has a significant affect on this election.  In fact, I think
> because of racism, even a 6% isn't nearly enough to call it.  I don't
> think the polls know how to factor this in.

The Bradley effect.  I dunno...even in the case of Bradley they found
the effect named after him was over-stated.  It turns out that the race
had actually tightened in the end, and that many people considered the
race a toss-up.

Besides, there's a lot of minor metrics out there that debunk this in
Obama's case.  Like, when they poll school kids.  Most school kids vote
the way their parents do, and parents will be more honest to their kids
than to pollsters.  Obama's ahead in all the school kid polls.

Also, more recent elections are showing a reduced Bradley effect.
Harold Ford lost Tennessee due to a racist campaign, but people were
honest about it to the pollsters.  No Bradley effect in that campaign,
even though there was blatant racism.  Are we less racist or just more
honest about it?

Another metric is new registrations, which are Democrat in about a 2-1
ratio.  Of course, that brings in another problem.  The young tend to
get excited about an election, but decide their bong needs babysitting
when it comes time to vote.

-Dave