[clue-talk] Wow, Card's a little political...

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Nov 3 07:02:43 MST 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2008, at 6:04 PM, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> Brian Gibson wrote:
>>> Obama:  ~$200 billion
>>> McCain: ~$350 billion
>>>
>>> Tell me again how Obama plans to spend more?  Regardless, of who
>>> makes it to office, they're both going to be hampered by the
>>> economy.  During the debates, neither candidate went into detail as
>>> to where they were going to adjust their budget proposals to account
>>> for it.  Both Obama and McCain budget proposals will lead to deficits.
>>
>> By the looks of campaign contributions, I would say that more people
>> with money are betting on Obama creating more wealth.  But I'm sure
>> there are a lot of conspiracy theories about where his money came
>> from since he's a terrorist.
>
> Can I fix your statement?
>
> First, you can't tell anything about number of people by number of
> dollars.  That's not accurate statistics.
>
> Next, the sentence should read the same, just add the following...
>
> "I would say that [more] people with money are betting on Obama
> creating more wealth... for them."

Sure, it's what I meant to imply anyway.

> Do you believe Obama will make money for you?  Please feel free to
> describe how you read that from his plan.

Not in the short-term.  I think they're pretty equivalent in the short
term.  But I think he has a better chance of making the country finances
better and therefore eventually costing me less.  I've become afraid of
the deficit spending on the other side.

>> Which brings us to an important point:  do we all really get just one
>> vote?  Or can we buy votes through campaign contributions.  Let
>> whoever has the biggest check win!
>
> How do you think votes are being purchased?  Just curious.

Someone already stated earlier that Obama has spent more money, and
"still" only managed to get about half of the country.  That implies
that the more money your campaign has,  the more votes you can get.  If
it wasn't that way, why would politicians be hammering people in
battle-ground states?  We know that money does translate into at least a
few votes somehow.

>> Actually I think the people with the most money don't care as much
>> about who gets elected as we do.
>
> They just adjust appropriately, just as we should do.  If Obama's
> voted in, businesses that are somewhere around $250,000 in size
> annually will either die, be split into five little individual $50,000
> businesses... whatever.  Anyone with money will do whatever they have
> to to retain it, they didn't get it by being stupid with it.

$250,000 "businesses" aren't going to die, and most of them won't be
splitting themselves into smaller businesses.  I wonder how we made it
through all those years before Bush created his tax cuts.  Businesses
will try to find ways to save money, that's fine.  If Joe the plumber is
anything like me, he takes all of his money out of his business by the
end of each year so that he can avoid getting taxed twice anyway.

Angelo