[clue-talk] Obama, McCain, and the American flag

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Nov 3 22:17:39 MST 2008

Grant Johnson wrote:
> David L. Willson wrote:
>> Perfect answer.  Thank you.

I tend to agree.  But you want to leave it up to a vote,  most people
think abortion in the third trimester is wrong, but abortion in the
first trimester is ok.  People of different religious values tend to
view the situation differently, DNA or not:  at a certain point in
development it becomes human.  And then there's the human tendency to
want a clear line that we can use for legal basis.  The two most clear
lines are 1) conception, and 2) birth.

Just banning abortions though without putting some kind of
infrastructure in place that will prevent and "solve" unwanted
pregnancies will lead to underground abortions.  Abstinence is good,
but not really effective since people are going to still have sex, and
guys are definitely going to want it.  Contraception and education about
preventing pregnancy, easy access, is absolutey the best realistic way
to stop unwanted pregnancies, but a lot of the right-wing thinkers are
religious and don't want their kids being given contraception.  And a
lot of women have problems with adoption.  I've heard more women say
they'd rather have an abortion than give their child up for adoption
because they thought it would be "too hard" for them to do.

Angelo