[clue-talk] it's over!

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Wed Nov 5 08:37:19 MST 2008

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 07:46:54 -0700

> Obama got 52% of the popular vote while  McCain got 46% of the popular
> vote. In 2004 Bush got 51% to Kerry's 48%.  We didn't call Bush's win
> in 2004 a mandate. Are 3 percentage points really that big of a
> difference?

I think that Obama's popular vote total is going to definitely be a mandate. A difference of 6% is huge. Right now, according to cnn.com, the margin is more than 7 million people for Obama. A total of 62.9 million votes. That definitely indicates a mandate to me.

The huge disparity in the electoral votes bears this out. Obama has 349 electoral votes so far! Even if he doesn't get any more, that is a landslide victory. That also seems to indicate a mandate to me.

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
"No, of course not, but a... but a... but a whole galaxy to explore?
Millions of planets? Eons of time? Countless civilizations to meet?"