[clue-talk] it's over!

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Sun Nov 9 19:02:32 MST 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> A couple points.
>
> Warren Buffett is a Democrat who knows businesses not economies. He's
> also obviously concerned about taxes enough that he buys warrants at a
> discount. No capital gain until they are called in and he can wait
> years for that while still accounting for them as profit as long as
> they're in the money. The terms he gets are almost always never under
> water.  He has the luxury of voting any way he wants to and taking his
> profits whenever he wants. If you want to know how the "economy" is
> doing, you don't ask the richest guy in the country and you don't ask
> the poorest.  You watch the relative wealth of the middle.  Or just
> watch the best economic indicator of them all. The unemployment numbers.
>
> --
My favorite economic indicator is "How weird are the people working at
Wal-Mart?"

You can choose another place if you like, but choose some place that
needs people, and requires no real skills and pays poorly, like fast
food, or janitorial.   These are the jobs at the bottom of the list for
choices, and therefore, if the people there are well educated and
normal, you are in a world of hurt.   However, when the two guys
collecting carts are arguing the difference in flavor between live and
dead zombies (not as in a movie, but as if they were real) you know the
job market is pretty good.