[clue-talk] Linked In CLUE Group?

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 12:36:59 MST 2008

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 14:14:03 -0500
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>

>> AFAIK they only email
>> people on my list when I tell them to send a reminder.
>>

> Those would be people who have actually joined LinkedIn, right?
>
> If I haven't opted-in by becoming a member, then they shouldn't be
> spamming me.

I don't really see the difference between you getting an email from me
through gmail's interface, and you getting an email from me through
linkedin's interface... as long as I'm making an active decision to send
the mail.  (And I'm able to modify the text sent out too.)  You can try
to accuse ME of spamming you either way.

But what you said before didn't sound like that's what you were
experiencing.  You implied (I thought) that LinkedIn was sending out
reminders without any users initiating them, which could totally be the
case.  In which case, they should definitely let you opt out of contact
from them altogether.

I'm not really up to date on the legalities of spam... like for example,
if you have asked your bank to not send you their monthly communications
to transfer balances, it wouldn't be good if that restricted them from
sending you messages about suspicious activities on your account.
Although I've dealt with companies that have an "all or nothing" policy
regarding emails.  I think Blockbuster was one:  they told me that I
either had to opt-in to their list or I couldn't get the coupons for
being whatever membership I had.

Angelo