[clue-talk] Linked In CLUE Group?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Nov 28 13:02:56 MST 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 14:36:59 -0500
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I don't really see the difference between you getting an email from me
> through gmail's interface, and you getting an email from me through
> linkedin's interface

If you use gmail to send me a personal e-mail, google doesn't add me to a
mailing list to get reminders about something I haven't signed up for.

Also, gmail is a mail provider. LinkedIn is a social networking site.
Different animal. I actually DO expect to get e-mail, via gmail, from
people I know. If LinkedIn would just ignore it when people ignore their
invites, it would bother me less. But that's not how they operate.

Compare LinkedIn to the CLUE mailing lists. I can generate an invite from
Mailman to send to anyone. If the recipient just ignores it, that's the
end of it. Mailman doesn't retain the e-mail address and continue to use
it to solicit membership. LinkedIn has no such concept of courtesy.

BTW, LinkedIn's response to my complaint to their abuse department wasn't
to simply flush the invite. Instead, they added the e-mail address that I
use only for personal e-mail with friends to their "refusal" database. So
now, despite my desire to keep that particular address mostly private,
it's in the hands of a corporation whom I distrust.

If you knew my personal telephone number, would you give it out without
consulting with me first? Why would my private e-mail addresses be any
different?

jed