[clue-talk] Linked In CLUE Group?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Nov 28 15:31:39 MST 2008

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> 2) Places that pass my email address to other lists
>
> #2 is particularly annoying.  For a lot of people how these spammers get
> your address is a "mystery."  (Sure, if you have joe at domain.com they can
> guess that one.)  It's really simple:  whenever you create an account
> online they pass or sell your email address to someone else.  I wish
> that step of the spam cycle was illegal.

It's really easy to lay a trap for this type of thing.  Everything you
sign up for, you create a new address, and then alias it to your
"normal" address.

linkedin at domain.com - for example.

If LinkedIn is the culprit and other people start sending mail to that
address, you'll know it.

Of course, you want to be sneakier than using the real name...

Nate