[clue-talk] Computer gear

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Oct 28 15:45:05 MDT 2008

I have some computer gear for sale / give away:

$45 - AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Socket 939
(This was pulled from my workstation at home, the motherboard died on me
after 2.5 years. I guess that's what you get when you buy a motherboard
with a passive heatsink on a chipset that routinely sat at 70 degrees
celsius. The CPU is fine, and I loved it but am unable to find a cheap MB
that matched my old one. I orignally paid $450 for this cpu, first dual
core chip on the market.)

$45 - 2 gigs of DDR 400 RAM to go with the above CPU.
(2 sticks, 1 gig each. Ran Memtest86 on these sticks multiple times,
everythins is fine)

$45 - Gigabyte Nforce SLI Socket AM2 motherboard.
(I forget the exact model number, I'll check when I get home. This board
is brand new in the sense that it's never been used with the exception of
last night. I bought a new AMD Phenom cpu to be used on it because I had
this board laying around unused from a build a year or so ago.  I kept it
thinking I could slap a quad core AMD chip in it, so I bought one last
night.  Even with the latest bios, which his board has, the board will not
support the phenom cpus.  Bummer.  It will however support the AMD Athlon
X2 socket AM2 chips just fine.)

Free - AMD Athlon MP 1000 CPUs (2 of them, with heatsinks)

Free - Server, consisting of a tyan motherboard, a 400 and some watt psu I
thnk, and the board is populated with AMD Athlon MP 1000 CPUs (2 of them,
with heatsinks). There is one issue with this server that never seemed to
do any harm, but was annoying - the clock battery doesn't work, whether
you replace the battery or not.  So, when you unplug and move the server,
it loses the time.  It ran great for me for 4 years this way, so I don't
think it matters.