[clue-talk] Wow, Card's a little political...

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Fri Oct 31 08:15:28 MDT 2008

The last nationwide summary from electoral-vote.com (Andrew Tannenbaum's
site) shows Obama ahead by 6%.  President Bush won in 2004 with about a
1% lead, which he called a "mandate".  6% is a pretty good lead for a
presidential campaign.

But I'm still surprised by how low it is.

Collins, you're right.  Obama has the lead in money, more positive press
coverage, a better built infrastructure, and a political environment
that heavily favors the Democrats.  80% of the population thinks the
country is going in the wrong direction.  The Republican brand is at
it's lowest point that I remember, and I remember as far back as
Carter.  So why isn't he doing better?  He should be ahead by 20%, not 6!

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on your viewpoint), it's electoral
votes that matter. electoral-vote.com shows it as Obama 364/McCain 171
with ND's 3 votes tied.  That's a much wider spread.  Even giving McCain
Missori, Indiana, North Dakota, Florida and Ohio, it's still
O-306/M-232, a good solid win for the Dems.  Toss in North Carolina, and
it's 0-291/M-247, still a win for Obama.

Hey, does anyone want to start a pool?  I'll put in $5 on Obama-312,
McCain-226.

Not quite the reverse of Mondale...or Dukakis...or McGovern.  But, a win
is a win.

-Dave