[clue-talk] oil...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Oct 31 11:43:17 MDT 2008

I thought this was interesting.  Someone forwarded it to me this morning.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

While I know it's politically incorrect to even talk about burning
petroleum these days (while "clean" coal burning doesn't seem to bother
anyone), I thought it was cool that USGS says they found this in the
Dakotas and Montana:

"The Bakken Formation estimate is larger than all other current USGS oil
assessments of the lower 48 states and is the largest "continuous" oil
accumulation ever assessed by the USGS. A "continuous" oil accumulation
means that the oil resource is dispersed throughout a geologic formation
rather than existing as discrete, localized occurrences. The next
largest "continuous" oil accumulation in the U.S. is in the Austin Chalk
of Texas and Louisiana, with an undiscovered estimate of 1.0 billions of
barrels of technically recoverable oil."

Drilling may not fix anything long-term, but we're not exactly
resource-poor here.

Nate