[clue-talk] Installing stuff generally and Installfest

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Oct 31 14:31:54 MDT 2008

rex evans wrote:
> To Dave Anselmi,
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks to you and Collins for the help installing Ubuntu Hardy,
> last summer. I would echo the advice recently for any Linux
> dual boot operating system install: de-fragment you disc beforehand.
> Defragmentation can take so long that nothing else gets done.
>
> I just got my Linux internet connection working, for the first
> time, and I will be doing much more internet connection work
> later. (Now using Trendnet TFM 560x, a serial port dial-up modem.)
>
> I still have the two Hardy CD's but have not used the "Live" one.
>
> Presently, I am concerned about apt-get and other utilities that might
> need internet access; my dial-up access being only 50kb. Are there any
> installs that are notorious for causing a domino-effect or huge downloads?
>
> I would like to get my internal win modem working.
> IIRC it needs gcc.
>
> Now, gcc compiler works, but libraries are missing (stdio
> cannot be found). I found others on the web with this
> problem: requires apt-get and perhaps one other intall-type
> utility.
>
> Would like to get WIFi working also. Win or other.
> Last month, I read some articles on long range WiFi,
> using some dish-shaped antennas.
>
> I do not yet know how i would pick and choose between different
> web access connections. My 560x modem comes up, and signs on
> to my ISP, while Ubuntu is booting, OK for now.
>
> BTW, can I send to clue tech mail address, without being a member?
> I read the tech Archive, for now.

Do you have any other access to high speed Internet?  I think high speed
Internet is almost a requirement for setting up and keeping a Linux up
to date.

I went through some time without Internet at all.  What I did was take
my laptop to a friend's place with a USB attached drive, and then I used
apt-mirror to create a repository on my drive that I could later attach
to my home computers.  It works really well, but you do have to edit
your sources accordingly.

--
Angelo Bertolli
http://angelo.bitfreedom.com/

~ I'm a sig virus. Please add me to your signature and help me spread! ~