[clue-talk] Vmware ESX / VI, WTF?

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Mon Sep 8 22:48:17 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:

> Linux products on the Desktop are currently an also-ran, as far as REAL
> competition goes -- so far.  Nothing on the Linux desktop is compelling
> enough for the masses to switch to it from [insert whatever they're
> using here, probably Windows].

To be fair, there have been a number of killer open source apps.  Apache
and firefox come to mind.  But, there's no reason to leave Windows for
them, since they both run on Windows, too.  Because they're open source,
they've been ported.  That's the nature of it.

I think you're proving David's point.  Linux doesn't have exclusive
apps, but Windows does, this there will never be a great app you can
have on Linux but not Windows.  It's the nature of it.  So, Linux people
have to fight to have their apps supported on Linux, or to have
replacements made.  If you're using a product to manage Linux servers,
then damn straight you should ask the vendor to support Linux as a client!

-Dave