[clue-talk] Vmware ESX / VI, WTF?

Tue Sep 9 11:12:13 MDT 2008

Nate,

I think you're taking devil's advocate to an extreme here.  It was not my intent to
debate every economics issue, but just to hopefully prove that cost-benefits are not
always as simple as the immediate points.

Let me re-state my main point, and then ask you yours.

My point is:

The Microsoft ecosystem inhibits competition by creating vendor lock-in (which ought to
be called customer lock-in).  Lock-in is bad, even if the value is otherwise good,
expecially when other products provide equal value without the lock-in.  The Free(Libre)
Software ecosystem prevents lock-in, and promotes customer freedom.  Whenever I see a
vendor pushing me to give up my freedom, I protest loudly, and wait for a response.  If
there is no response, or negative response, I stop supporting the vendor.  It appears
that the roadmap of Vmware products ends with desktop lock-in, and I'm protesting that.
 I'm also encouraging other users and potential users of Vmware products to protest
desktop lock-in.  The protest and the vendor switch, are justified, not by immediate
cost-savings, but by long-term benefit to the industry we lead, and the customers that
industry serves.

The one example that you answered, that I care enough about to speak further on, is the
"Chipotle or KFC, free-range or factory" issue:

I'm truly sorry that you feel that treating food-slave animals humanely is worthless.  I
understand your perspective, I completely disagree with it, and I hope that further
consideration will cause you to change your opinion.

--David

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:33:40 -0600, Nate Duehr wrote