[clue-talk] Free as in Whiskey?

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Fri Sep 12 13:33:04 MDT 2008

I know most of this group are beer drinkers, but I was wondering if
anyone would be interested in starting the 1st open source whiskey
project?  My idea is to have a bunch of people go in, and collaborate on
a project to distill some whiskey.

It costs $1050/year to get a distiller's license in Colorado.
The equipment, assuming we're using the pot stilling method, would come
to another $500
Supplies would be another $200 or so
We'd need a place where they don't mind it smelling like rotting corn

I seriously doubt we'll make enough whiskey to justify the price, nor
will it be any better than Stanahan's.  Probably worse.  But, it will be
an interesting project, and can be documented so others in the community
can learn from it.  Of course, if it's fun and the product isn't too
bad, the cost of batch #2 would be significantly cheaper.

Anyone interested?

-Dave