[clue-talk] Free as in Whiskey?

Fri Sep 12 13:41:12 MDT 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:33:04 -0600, David Rudder wrote
> I know most of this group are beer drinkers, but I was wondering if
> anyone would be interested in starting the 1st open source whiskey
> project?  My idea is to have a bunch of people go in, and collaborate on
> a project to distill some whiskey.
>
> It costs $1050/year to get a distiller's license in Colorado.
> The equipment, assuming we're using the pot stilling method, would come
> to another $500
> Supplies would be another $200 or so
> We'd need a place where they don't mind it smelling like rotting corn
>
> I seriously doubt we'll make enough whiskey to justify the price, nor
> will it be any better than Stanahan's.  Probably worse.  But, it will be
> an interesting project, and can be documented so others in the community
> can learn from it.  Of course, if it's fun and the product isn't too
> bad, the cost of batch #2 would be significantly cheaper.
>
> Anyone interested?

Not in the distilling, but I'll be happy to join you in the drinking, and I'll kick in
cash for that part.  Does the twice-mentioned Stanahan's have a place we can go to taste
their wares together?  Maybe we could get a bunch of geeks together for a
whiskey-drinking field trip, at least.