[clue-talk] saving money with Linux

Thu Dec 10 10:22:57 MST 2009

On  software piracy:

Of course it is impossible to compete on basis of cash price against stolen software, but really, it is ridiculous to try.  What is much more important, to a fellow who is stealing software, is the change of mind needed for him to want NOT to steal it.  His OS choice is trivial if he doesn't care that he is breaking the law.  In this case, I mean ethical law, not our system of crime, capture, and punishment.

I believe there is an ethical law that says something like this:  If I like you, we will do business in a way that honors both of us.  I won't steal from you.  If I steal from you, I am bankrupt.  If I don't like you enough to do business with you in a way that honors both of us, but I buy into your thinking, enough to steal from you, and spread your ideas to my friends, I am bankrupt and I'm spreading the disease of bankruptcy to those I claim to love.

Words fail, but maybe you get the idea?

Stolen is the most expensive.  Money can be replaced easily.  Restoration of honor is a slow building process.