[clue-talk] saving money with Linux

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 23:55:46 MST 2009

"I cannot be held unaccountable for bashing in someone's head because I had a bad childhood."

Then why is it soldiers are unaccountable for bashing in someone's head or worse during a time of war against enemy combatants?  What about a sufferer of mental illness?  I'm not going to advocate that lawyers getting reduced sentencing for dubious reasons or creatively interpreting laws to bring charges to bear is good or bad.  It's just simply a bi-product of an adversarial justice system.

"I have seen this with my own younger sisters and to a lesser extent with my children"

This is perhaps an issue to take up with your school board. Perhaps these incidents were isolated to the few teachers you observed.  The inability to mark a student's answers as correct or incorrect would seriously hamper a teacher's ability to teach, and I have serious doubts this is widespread.  In my experience, what color ink a teacher used to mark answers was either individual preference or what was available at the time.  Seeing an X versus a check and n/m at the top of the paper with the corresponding letter grade had more of an impact on me and my parents' reaction than the color pen used.  To a colorblind student, some colors won't even matter.

"There are absolutes, on right and wrong."

Morality does not exist independent of the human condition.  The closest you'll get is universal consensus, but even that's unattainable.  You try getting everyone to agree on one thing.

1)  My rights end where yours begin.
2)  The ends never justify the means.

That's all well and good, and wise words to live by.  Yet, you still enjoy the benefits of a country founded, yes, on the principles of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", but also founded on squatting, fraud, deceit, conquest, and genocide.  But, I don't see many people rushing to give up any property rights to the descendants of the native people of this land.

"They should have all necessities like food shelter and medical care, and some ways of bettering themselves through education, but no luxuries, and they should work enough to pay the costs of keeping them there."

Agreed.  Rehabilitation should be a focus of prison reform.  Teach prisoners to respect other people's rights.  Teach them a marketable skill.  Provide job placement.  Have them work for their keep.  Unfortunately, people prefer to just lock them up and throw away the key.  People want prisoners punished.  The prison industrial complex would rather exploit this cheap labor force and lobbies to increase it.  Who do you think wants no-tolerance laws and mandatory sentencing more than anyone else?  Follow the money.