[clue-talk] new processors

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Wed Dec 30 08:21:35 MST 2009

>         Could someone send me a hyperlink to an article that would
> explain how it would be so much faster, please? Something for the
> non-computer scientist, if possible. Or if someone wants to explain it
> and can through e-mail that would be okay, too.

You will now have the equivalent of two 2.7 Ghz processors.   This means
that a single threaded task will be a little quicker, but the fact that
other processes can be on the other core and free up resources for your
single threaded process will help a lot.   Also, many processes are
written to take advantage of the multiple cores, and will be much better.

So, if you do only one thing at a time on your machine, and your processes
are not written to use multiple cores, you will see a small boost, but in
the real world, you will see a significant difference.