[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Feb 2 17:06:31 MST 2009

The  main fallacy in the article is that any President has the authority to
spend on ANYTHING.

The Congress creates and votes for the spending bills.  The President only
signs on the dotted line, or vetos outright.

The Democrats had full control over Congress the latter half of Bush II's
administration, and then get to write crap like this saying he "spent more
money than Regan", as if that's how our Federal Government's budgetary
system works.

It's not a company, the President isn't the CEO with the checkbook, writing
checks in our society, but that myth seems to hang on, and the press doesn't
correct it.  (Gee, I wonder why?)

People don't pay attention to how our government even works when reading
this stuff, so it flies as "truth" because it sounds similar to what they
know from their own personal budgets and companies.  One guy makes the final
decision.  In the case of government, a gaggle of porkalicious politicians
who always vote themselves a pay raise every year, create the budget, and
hold out political favors to the President's party as a carrot to sign the
thing, if the other Party has control of the House and/or Senate.

Anytime you hear someone talking about how much money a PRESIDENT spent, you
already know they're not playing with a full deck, or they're lying to you.
It doesn't work that way.

Nate