[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Mon Feb 2 18:42:52 MST 2009

The President doesn't have the power to pay for anything, but he wields
incredible persuasive power.  The priorities of the budgets are usually
set by the President and then carried out by Congress.  If Congress is
controlled by the other party, the actual budget may not reflect what
the President asked for, but there's usually at least some
acknowledgment of his priorities.

It's an over-simplification to say the President has no right to define
budgets.  It's also an over-simplification that the President can spend
any money.  I feel that the first is the more accurate
representation...that the big ticket items are "the president's
spending", even if that's not strictly true.

As an example, who is responsible for the cost of the Iraq war?  Sure,
Congress voted for it, but it was a clear priority of the executive
branch.  For W to say "who, me?" would have been disingenuous.  To his
credit, I don't remember him ever pulling the old "but Congress paid for
it!"

As another example, the Congress will pass the new stimulus bill, but
it's obviously Obama's spending.

-Dave