[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:35:24 MST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 01-31 18:39, Collins Richey wrote:
>
>> We have a big enough deficit without printing extra money to pay
>> Democratic operatives (Acorn) to continue their "community activism"
>> unabated ...
>
> I know deriding ACORN is practically a national pasttime, but I just wanted
> to jump in and point out that this talking point about ACORN and the
> stimulus package is untrue (as usual, Limbaugh and the other
> liars-for-profit picked this up and keep repeating it, though. Completely
> shameless):
>
> http://mediamatters.org/items/200901280027?f=h_top
>
> Myths and falsehoods surrounding the economic recovery plan
>
> "6. $4.19 billion of stimulus "would go to" ACORN

Per the cited link. "It states that "not less than $3,440,000,000
shall be allocated by a competition" to "States, units of general
local government, and nonprofit entities or consortia of nonprofit
entities." It also provides that "up to $750,000,000 shall be awarded
by competition to nonprofit entities or consortia of nonprofit
entities to provide community stabilization assistance."

I presume that the inclusion of Acorn comes from the phrase "nonprofit
entities or consortia of nonprofit entities". I would think that Acorn
fits comfortably in that category. I'm sure that those bureaucrats who
get to decide who gets the money will certainly include their pet
nonprofit entity Acorn. It's typical of the language in Congressional
bills, You can't really tell who is giving or getting what.

--
Collins Richey