[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 08:20:23 MST 2009

On 02-03 19:35, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On 01-31 18:39, Collins Richey wrote:
> >
> >> We have a big enough deficit without printing extra money to pay
> >> Democratic operatives (Acorn) to continue their "community activism"
> >> unabated ...
> >
> > I know deriding ACORN is practically a national pasttime, but I just wanted
> > to jump in and point out that this talking point about ACORN and the
> > stimulus package is untrue (as usual, Limbaugh and the other
> > liars-for-profit picked this up and keep repeating it, though. Completely
> > shameless):
> >
> > http://mediamatters.org/items/200901280027?f=h_top
> >
> > Myths and falsehoods surrounding the economic recovery plan
> >
> > "6. $4.19 billion of stimulus "would go to" ACORN
> >

> Per the cited link. "It states that "not less than $3,440,000,000
> shall be allocated by a competition" to "States, units of general
> local government, and nonprofit entities or consortia of nonprofit
> entities." It also provides that "up to $750,000,000 shall be awarded
> by competition to nonprofit entities or consortia of nonprofit
> entities to provide community stabilization assistance."
>
> I presume that the inclusion of Acorn comes from the phrase "nonprofit
> entities or consortia of nonprofit entities". I would think that Acorn
> fits comfortably in that category. I'm sure that those bureaucrats who
> get to decide who gets the money will certainly include their pet
> nonprofit entity Acorn. It's typical of the language in Congressional
> bills, You can't really tell who is giving or getting what.

It's possible that ACORN might get some of it. It does say it will be done
via competition, whatever that may mean.

But for Rush, et al, to go braying that ACORN is getting X billion is just
the type of horsepuckey I'd expect from that bunch.

Ultimately, I still don't see how Rush can hyperventilate so, even if it
were actually true. We've literally misplaced at least twice as much money
in our boondoggle in Iraq.

At least with ACORN, we'd know where the money actually went. In the case of
the "misplaced" billions of dollars, we have no idea where that money went,
other than it was part of a foreign adventure.

Where was the rage from Rush, et al, then, I wonder?

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com