[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 01:03:00 MST 2009

>From what I understand (being a transplant and not a Colorado native) that the widening of I-70 has been debated for over 30 years.  It's one of those projects that's always been on the backburner, but no one seems to agree on how to fix it.  The best chance Colorado had for funding was back in 1976 for the Winter Olympics, but Colorado declined the offer.  Now, many are looking forward for 2018 as a chance to get the funding and public support for I-70 improvements.

Considering that I-70 is part of the Federal interstate system, I would think that some federal funds should be made available for its improvements. However, since the improvements will benefit citizens of Colorado more, they should take on most of the burden.  If additional private funds can be contributed, that would be cool as well considering all the businesses that depend on the tourism.

Whether Congress freely passes a bill saying here's some money, or if
State Reps and Senators have to work their asses off to lobby for
funds, makes no difference.  No amount of Federal funds can cover the entire cost anyway, even what's being offered in the bill.  I don't see why people balk at the idea of pouring a trillion dollars give or take a billion into this country versus spending in excess of that on a war we should not have even fought.  Still in terms of a percentage of GDP, it's still not the worst this country has faced (which was post-WWII IIRC), though it could get there at this rate.  People somehow think a million dollars is a lot these days, but I just saw a headline which stated that middle class for NYC is now a 6-figure salary.  A billion has become the new million.  Plus if the hyperinflationary doomsayers are right, that'll be even closer to the truth.