[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Feb 6 17:05:22 MST 2009

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 12:06:51 -0700
David Rudder wrote:

> So, since you're an anti-tax advocate, I have to assume you don't use
> any resources that tax dollars have paid for? You don't drive on roads,
> use the electric grid, use the Internet or expect the fire department
> to show up when your house burns? I'll assume you don't want soldiers
> defending your freedoms, police protecting you against theft or a
> public defender to help you when you're unfairly charged with a crime?
>
> Actions speak louder than words. If you really don't think the
> government should tax you, then you should stop using all that pork,
> huh?

Poor argument, David.

Since they've already taken the money from me, without giving me a
choice, then of course I'm going to use the stuff I've helped pay for. I
am, after all, a part owner. However, there's all manner of government
spending that I don't use, too.

And none of that invalidates taking the ideological position that taxes
should be lower, and that we'd all be better off if the government did
less.

Minor quibble. The police, in general, don't protect against anything.
The do show up after the fact and collect evidence, attempt to prosecute,
etc.

In re. your other examples, the U.S. Consitution specifically empowers
the federal government with job of defending our borders. Where is the
Consitutional authority for funding doorbells (to cite one example), or
the myriad of other spending the feds have been doing for years and years?

jed