[clue-talk] little survey

Yaverot Yaverot at computermail.net
Thu Jun 4 14:08:05 MDT 2009

I really need to figure out how to configure this webclient for real replies instead of top-posting....
I marked my replies as quotes > instead

--- dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
I have a little informal survey about the Linux preferences of CLUE members.

1. Which distro do you use?
> Gentoo on _my_ systems, Ubuntu for family members, Puppy when I want/need LiveCD, however I'm looking at building a home NAS (input accepted) and leaning toward OpenSolaris for that as zfs is starting to sound too good.

2. Which desktop do you use? KDE3, KDE4, Gnome, other?
> Gnome, or whatever Puppy has when I boot that.  I didn't really look at options and make a choice.

3. How many of your computers run Linux?
> family webserver, 'main desktop' multiboot with win98 (love to VM 98 though, too bad there aren't drivers...), VirtualBox VM of ubuntu on my Mac (Classwork - Cisco packet tracer), an experiment machine, plus my Dad's sytem

4. Do other family members use Linux?
> They use on only thing on the system, it works and they have low requirements.

5. Do you use Linux exclusively at home?
> No, Sid Mier's Alpha Centuri & expansion don't work under Wine (and a few other early century games), plus I like being able to simply trust Apple for my first laptop.

6. Are you fortunate enough to use Linux at work?
> I'm an example of how much can be done at school without Windows, but some things there just isn't a choice.

7. Do you build your own Linux? (Yes, a few of us are masochistic enough to do so! :) )
> If Gentoo counts, yes. If not, I've tried, but never been successful with LFS.

8. How experienced are you with Linux?