[clue-talk] survey results

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Jun 15 16:28:04 MDT 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:42:31 +0000 (UTC)
dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:

> I think a lot of people don't explore distros any more. Most of my
> exploring of distros occurred when I started using Linux. Ubuntu gives
> most people what they need, so they don't look any further.

Well, if you want to get into 'what distros have you used?', that's a
slightly different question. I started with RH5.2 and mostly kept with RH
through Fedora n, before switching to Kubuntu. But I did try SuSE out
once for about a week, in between RH distros. And I've tried out Puppy
and DSL. When I was at HP, I used SLES and RHEL on testing machines, but
Kubuntu on my desktop. Back in 1999, I briefly attempted to use Debian on
the desktop at my job. And I've run Knoppix a few times, either out of
curiosity, or because I needed to do something I couldn't do with
Kubuntu. And I've run CentOS at home when I needed an environment like
the CLUE VPS runs.

I suppose I have less desire to explore different distros now, because I
don't see the cost/benefit working out. I'm liking Puppy on the laptop,
but then I make very few demands on that machine, and in fact don't run
it much. If/when my needs change, I might look at other distros, but
most likely that'll be for purpose-built systems, such as a media
center or sound station, rather than looking for some other philosophy of
updates, package mgmt. or something like that.

jed