[clue-talk] Know anyone in the State IT dept?

Dave Maddox softwareanddesign at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 22:59:40 MST 2009

I've only been here three years, but my mind has boggled at all the IT
projects the state and sometimes the city, and the RTD, and so on...
have seriously screwed up.

State - motor vehicles, I think some criminal justice one, something
else I forget, city of Denver elections of course, repeatedly and with
lawyers getting involved I believe, the RTD's new paratransit scheduling
system was a nightmare last summer but they pressed on, no need to roll
back, eventually the supplier will fix the bugs that are causing
hour-long phone waits for the disabled to schedule trips instead of 5
minute or so average, and sending minibuses all over town, causing
dialysis patients to miss lifesaving treatment appointments... 'Jesus
wept', as they say. The real tragedy? I believe the same company kept
being given new contracts only to produce the same 'results' on many
state contracts.

One thing worth noting - though some of the issues involved faulty data
migration and things like that, the biggest recurring issue was
apparently scalability, things becoming unusable or barely usable once
they threw the switch for the whole agency.

This one on slashdot, oy, I would be sure it was a troll or a legit
system hacked for fun, but no...

I wonder if the IEEE or ACM is running a separate journal on Colorado
government IT yet? Maybe we need someone like the FAA has for plane
crashes to comb through government IT disasters?

And the stuff that does work, they have been making unusable or
subcontracting to for-pay services (DORA professional license lookups
have gone from queries to CSV file downloads, court records were freely
accessible in Denver, now outsourced and fee-based in many counties).

Ok, rant off, I'm going to read our contribution to Slashdot again and
imagine Laurel and Hardy putting together a website. Or Larry, Moe and
Curly Braces. Hey Moe! Click to publish, nyuk nyuk nyuk. Why I oughta...

Dave