[clue-talk] Really OT - Ugg - M$ stuff

Silas Martinez silasm at gmail.com
Sat May 9 21:11:21 MDT 2009

First off, you mention wine - does that umbrella include Crossover? I've had
very good success with getting things to run under crossover (my SO loves
corel's pait shop pro). It finally enabled me to get my wife to ditch
windoze.
As for removing McAfee, I've always had to do that in safe mode. Not quite
sure why it wouldn't show up in add/remove programs, though - does it have
an uninstaller in its program files directory, at least?

As for general de-lousing .... Its been too long since I've had to deal with
windows support for me to ever have patience for that these days. My
preference would be the 'nuke it from orbit - its the only way to be sure'
approach. Backing up data (pictures, music, office docs, etc) first, of
course. This is made more complicated if you have some hard-to-replace
applications installed - but its my absolute preference for windows
(de-lousing is never as effective, and often takes longer than razing and
rebuilding).

Of course, that is made easier by having a FreeNAS box here, as well. Most
of my family's 'critical data' is on an old server's software raided drives,
on a low maintenance black box. My family has gotten used to a fairly
typical warning I've heard our windows folks share at work - never keep
critical data on your local hard drive.

--
The Net was built by people who said things like: What if we try this? Nope.
What if we try that? Nope. What if we try this other thing? Well, hot damn!

http://www.cluetrain.com/book/apocalypso.html