[clue-talk] LPI cert

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 22 02:14:17 MDT 2009

On a more Linux-y topic...

I passed LPI 101 and 102 today without any major problems.  Company
started getting antsy that they wanted people to have more
training/certs and the deal was "if you pass, it's paid for"... so I
scheduled two tests on a day off, and did the "get 'er done" thing.

I guess I'll go ahead and do the Level 2 stuff next.

Some stuff on the test was good, other stuff was "who the hell needs to
KNOW that in a real production environment?!"... it was a tad harder
than I thought, but I think I'll chalk that up to my distrust of "fill
in the complete command here" types of questions on cert tests... you
have far less "feedback" than multiple-guess, since at least in
multiple-guess when you know the answer cold, you can see how the test
writers THINK a little bit from the WRONG answers.

But in all, it was a fair, reasonably difficult test for someone needing
to be "certified" on Linux systems.  I'm a Debian-head, so I stumbled on
a couple of obscure RPM questions that I really didn't care about.  LOL.
 I also found their focus on adding SQL syntax to a SYSADMIN test to be
COMPLETELY wrong... too many sysadmins out there who THINK they're DBA's
already... once you've worked with a real DBA... you know you don't know
jack.  LOL!

But anyway... now I'm curious, and I've seen some discussion on the
topic here before, but I forget easily... how many folks on the list are
certified and have you found it at all useful in your professional life?
 A requirement for any Linux jobs out there that you were interested in?
 Etc...

Just wondering the "worth" of the thing, I guess.  Since it was "free to
me" (well, I guess technically it's still floating on my credit card
until I get reimbursed) I have no frame of reference for how much it's
worth and whether or not the $160 per test had any real marketplace
value to it.

It's definitely (appropriately) harder than Linux+ which I did a long
time ago... again, no particular reason why back then, and I don't know
if that one is supposed to be re-certified after a time period... but it
was a joke compared to LPI Level 1.  Level 2 should be "interesting".
Not sure the new Level 3 is worth the brain damage...

Thoughts?

Nate

--
  Nate Duehr