[clue-talk] OT: Request to borrow Mac OS 10.5.X install disc

Silas Martinez silasm at gmail.com
Fri May 22 09:40:12 MDT 2009

My issue with OSX as desktop unix is probably a leftover from my love of
linux - there appears to be a dearth of open applications readily available
for it, and I'm not thrilled with its package management. Yes, there is
MacPorts - but its ugly (this was a year or more ago, now - perhaps it's
better these days). There are probably a few other efforts out there that
are similar - but nothing I've seen to match apt-get or Yum, in terms of
simple package management and overall ease of application management. I lost
my love for watching applications compile some time ago, but I haven't lost
interest in running some standard applications on my desktop. My memories if
installing a standard AMP-suite, plus a few things like memcached, etc, for
some testing locally ... are not fond.
Sadly (perhaps? my wallet doesn't think so) I'm happier with a solid desktop
linux distro, and a good wine-descendant, like crossover. My needs include
the ability to play games, good virtualization (vmware server 2 seems pretty
solid - I like it better than parallels for many tasks - except perhaps
running windows integrated with the unix desktop), and lots of applications
support. Having things in more traditional locations, and having an
environment that's comfy because its what I work with, are both nice pluses.

*shrug* thats me.

-Silas.