[clue-talk] OT: Request to borrow Mac OS 10.5.X install disc

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 22 16:55:46 MDT 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:40:12 -0600, "Silas Martinez" <silasm at gmail.com>
said:
> My issue with OSX as desktop unix is probably a leftover from my love of
> linux - there appears to be a dearth of open applications readily
> available
> for it, and I'm not thrilled with its package management. Yes, there is
> MacPorts - but its ugly (this was a year or more ago, now - perhaps it's
> better these days). There are probably a few other efforts out there that
> are similar - but nothing I've seen to match apt-get or Yum, in terms of
> simple package management and overall ease of application management. I
> lost

I can't stand MacPorts either.  I use Fink, which is basically the
Debian distro, repackaged and ported in binary form, complete with
"fink-get" etc... it all behaves very much like a Debian machine... and
I found that if something was not available, it's probably not something
easy to port to the Darwin/OSX kernel...

Nate
--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com