[clue-talk] Steal this film

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Thu Nov 26 07:06:07 MST 2009

> Which brings up an interesting question.  Should a consumer have to
> purchase another copy not just to put it onto a different device but to
> have it in a new format?  e.g., if you own a tape or LP, should you have
> to pay again for a CD or mp3?  Should you have to pay again to go from
> standard definition to high definition?  How about when UHD comes out?

I think that if the content provider is supplying the new media, then yes.
  It would be nice if they would give you a cut rate if you turned in your
old media, but I do not see that being mandatory.  However, if I am making
the transfer myself, no extra payment should be required.   Often the new
media (blue ray instead of DVD) is better quality, and the only way to get
the additional information in the new media is to buy the new copy.
Sometimes, however, like the transition from LP to CD, some information is
actually lost in the process, and I see no reason not to do the conversion
myself, unless the cost of time and materials exceeds the cost of new
media.

Another question, should I be required to purchase the same item again at
the same cost (the copyright holders have already been compensated once
for my usage) for the same item in the same format because of fragile
media like a scratched DVD?