[clue-talk] Fwd: Cyber Monday 3 Day Sale - Get Up to 50% Off

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 22:02:01 MST 2010

Linked clones run from a baseline.  For example,  have VM A. Clone it,
make linked clone B.  Linked clone B isn't a full VM by itself, it runs
off of A.  Because it's not a full clone, it doesn't take as much
diskspace.  I can't prove it, but I suspect it's the workstation
equivalent of ESX's snapshots, it's a record of the changes made to VM
A, not a complete VM in and of itself.  Remove VM A, and you can't run
linked clone B, but remove linked clone B and you can still run VM A.

(Personally, I prefer to use full clones, but the space savings just
isn't that important to me.)

Bean