[clue-talk] questions wanted for VMware/ESX presentation

Fri Dec 17 14:35:26 MST 2010

Mike,

The link you sent is for ESX 2.x, not VMware Server 2.x. They're totally different products. ESX 2.x is way past it's end of life, but Server 2.x is current. The last update v.2.0.2 was published about 14 months ago. (Did I mention that there's a lot of confusion around what VMware Server is, because some monkey removed the GSX portion of the name?)

Here's a podcast comparing VMware Server to ESXi for everyone to enjoy.

http://download3.vmware.com/podcasts/audio/differences-between-esxi-server2.mp3

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bean" <beandaemon at gmail.com>
To: "CLUE talk" <clue-talk at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 1:52:07 PM
Subject: Re: [clue-talk] questions wanted for VMware/ESX presentation

Server is LONG PAST it's lifespan folks. Don't count on getting a lick of official support for it.

http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/vi/maintenance.html#esx_v2.5

Guys, I obviously can't speak in any official capacity for VMware, all I can give you is my personal opinion based on what I know. So, please, take what I am about say for what it is, an expression of opinion. No, there will never be a Server 3.

Bean