[clue-talk] Mediawiki, Webpress and Drupal

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 12:24:19 MST 2010

I've had some experience with Drupal.  It didn't fit well with me the few times I've used it.  It's great for getting off the ground quickly, but if you're doing anything outside it's scope, it's not very easy to customize.  Plus you have to live with any features included whether you need them or not, and they can sometimes get in your way or the client's.

I use WordPress a lot, building most of my personal sites with it.  It's definitely more agile than Drupal but you give up some power as a result.  It's interesting to note how WordPress is evolving from a blog application to a CMS with a blog as its default configuration.  One of the key features of WordPress is a user-friendly admin interface.

More often than not tho, a client wants something really custom and then I opt for a web application framework rather than a ready-made CMS.  I've used CodeIgniter/Expression Engine (PHP), Kohana (PHP), and Ruby on Rails.