[clue-talk] new processors

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Mon Jan 4 09:18:56 MST 2010

So as always the real answer is: "It Depends".  A "real world" desktop
environment a few extra cores will make your experience a bit
snappier.  A reasonably recent motherboard with a good built in GPU
and a single modern multi-core processor will likely give good
performance.  Consider that the performance gap between disk/network
speed has grown so large that much of the time a modern processor is
waiting around for L2 cache to be loaded anyway.

http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/post/what-your-computer-does-while-you-wait