[clue-talk] Benefits of SSDs : was new processors

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Tue Jan 5 14:49:14 MST 2010

> This may be covered in the links that have been provided, but in
> regards to the 1st email. If you can avoid it don't mount your swap to
> an SSD. Yes you will receive better speeds, but at the cost of the
> life of your drive. By the nature of how SSD work, the constant
> writing & rewriting of data to the drive degrades the life of the
> drive as well as speed overtime. There have been firmware updates to
> improve the life and speeds of the drives, but it is still suggested
> to reduce that kind of work if you can.
>
> The best solutions I've come across is to use the SSD for you OS
> partions and use a SATA for everything else. You will still get you
> decreased boot times and application speed improvements as that stuff
> will continue to live off the SSD. It will also save you a bit of
> money while we wait for SSD costs to come down as you wont need such a
> massive drive anymore.

So, /var, /home, /root and /swap on magnetic, and /bin, /sbin, /boot,
/etc, /usr and /opt on SSD with noatime mounts?

It seems like a good idea.   If you are hitting swap hard enough to gain
from moving it to SSD, you are probably better off to just throw RAM at
the system.  Move the things that are slow to use, but don't change a lot
to SSD, and the the smaller files that change a lot to magnetic.

Is that what you meant?