[clue-talk] Benefits of SSDs : was new processors

NICK VERBECK nerdynick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:25:17 MST 2010

Thats exactly what I'm talking about.

As for lifetime of the drive. It more depends on what your usage
actually is when it comes to writes/deletes. If you a basic desktop
user that just browses the web then you wont see much of a loss, but
as in one actual real world usage example. They have a raid of them
assembled for a Database server. In which they change out each drive
every 6months before failure. As any longer they run risks of failure,
as they observed in there initial testing. So as you can see the
lifetime of your SSD is not a set number to be judged by. Its a number
you would have to equate yourself, by taking into account your usage
vs price of drive vs benefits of usage.

If to you your fine with buying a new drive every couple of years then
by all mean do what you wish, but if your like me and what as long a
life as you can get for your $1. Then go the route of separation.
Because in reality the befits from an SSD drive on much more then the
OS  & libraries wont be seen to much on your day to day activities
unless your a special case. Like a DJ or someone that's constantly
using there drives heavily.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM,  <grant at amadensor.com> wrote:
>> This may be covered in the links that have been provided, but in
>> regards to the 1st email. If you can avoid it don't mount your swap to
>> an SSD. Yes you will receive better speeds, but at the cost of the
>> life of your drive. By the nature of how SSD work, the constant
>> writing & rewriting of data to the drive degrades the life of the
>> drive as well as speed overtime. There have been firmware updates to
>> improve the life and speeds of the drives, but it is still suggested
>> to reduce that kind of work if you can.
>>
>> The best solutions I've come across is to use the SSD for you OS
>> partions and use a SATA for everything else. You will still get you
>> decreased boot times and application speed improvements as that stuff
>> will continue to live off the SSD. It will also save you a bit of
>> money while we wait for SSD costs to come down as you wont need such a
>> massive drive anymore.
>>

> So, /var, /home, /root and /swap on magnetic, and /bin, /sbin, /boot,
> /etc, /usr and /opt on SSD with noatime mounts?
>
> It seems like a good idea.   If you are hitting swap hard enough to gain
> from moving it to SSD, you are probably better off to just throw RAM at
> the system.  Move the things that are slow to use, but don't change a lot
> to SSD, and the the smaller files that change a lot to magnetic.
>
> Is that what you meant?

Nick Verbeck - NerdyNick