[clue-talk] Sidux problems

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 17:14:29 MST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Louis Miller <miller106c at comcast.net> wrote:
> I installed the Sidux KDE lite CD version twice, because the first time it
> didn't work properly. Then, there is no package manager, so you have to do
> everything with the command line, which I couldn't figure out how to do.
> Then, I burned the DVD version to disc with a full KDE desktop, because I
> couldn't find an e-mail program. Then, It didn't work, right, so I
> re-installed it. Then, I had to fiddle with entering my root password, then
> hit 'startx' in order to bring up the desktop, and when the desktop finally
> loaded, my cursor was froze. I thought it might be a fluke, so I rebooted
> and the cursor froze the second time. What is so great about this distro
> that I should continue plugging away at it? Why shouldn't I just throw the
> disc in the garbage and open a bottle of champagne that it is off my
> computer?

Without an information about your system (cpu, video, ethernet,
wireless, etc.) it's impossible to tell what the problem is. Questions

1) Have you read the sidux manual (icon on your kde desktop)?
2) I doubt it, since you would have discovered that there is a package
manager - the standard Debian dpkg/apt-get combination. Yes, Virginia,
dist-upgrades for sidux are handled from the command line.
3) can you successfully run from the LiveCD on your system? If not,
then you may not be successful with an actual installation.

--
Collins Richey