[clue-talk] Corporate Media Is The Problem

Bruce Ediger bediger at stratigery.com
Thu Jan 21 10:52:39 MST 2010

Everyone should read Dave Winer's commentary and prescriptions
about corporate media:

http://www.scripting.com/stories/2010/01/17/corporateMediaIsTheProblem.html

Those of us running linux find ourselves in a great position to do
the "technical" things that Winer suggests:

1. You should pay for your own hosting.

This is easy and cheap these days.  My basement has my server in it:

http://www.stratigery.com/

6. You should own your own domain, or set of domains, and pay the registration
fees yourself.

Again, easy and cheap.  If your "ISP" won't sell you a static IP address
with unfiltered ports, you should move to a competitor.

I urge everyone to do this, and then to do Winer's #5:

5. If you care about a subject, write a definitive piece on it that reflects
your point of view,. Don't settle for a compromise, group-think sanitized
version in the form of a Wikipedia page.

I think my best piece is about the Window's developer's hard choice:
http://www.stratigery.com/nt.sekrits.html

I've also been thinking about writing "Why fork/exec rules, and spawn-style
process creation is for morons", and also about the long, tedious and
failure filled history of predictions of Unix/Linux malware, but for now,
what I've got out there will have to do.