[clue-talk] Corporate Media Is The Problem

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Jan 21 15:11:15 MST 2010

On 01-21 12:25, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On 1/21/2010 11:29 AM, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> >On 01-21 10:52, Bruce Ediger wrote:
> >
> >>Everyone should read Dave Winer's commentary and prescriptions
> >>about corporate media:
> >>
> >Along these lines...do you know of any efforts to form a rebirth of Usenet?
> >It seems the Internet is really lacking a certain something without it.
> >

> Nah, USENET's old news.
>
> Today's media is richer than it could (easily) support.
>
> Podcasts (both audio and video), etc... are where I go for news about my
> favorite thing in life (aviation).  The "official" news outlets are
> sorely lacking, but add nice puff pieces to the fray that we talk about
> on the podcasts, on blogs, etc... from time to time.
>
> Professional writing, production, etc... is great when the content of
> the writer's/producer's work isn't completely sanitized for public
> consumption.  But sometimes the world needs information from someone who
> garners an "Explicit" tag in iTunes (as an example only of how
> corporations clean up the real world and present it all pretty and
> wrapped up with a bow).

That's why I said "rebirth". I imagine tacking on some of the same
features to Usenet - and blocking spam - wouldn't be so difficult.

The fact that there are tons of phpBB (or other canned software) sites out
there contradicts the notion that discussion boards are somehow outmoded.
Obviously, people still love to talk, even in (mostly) text-only
environments...my only complaint is that these things are splintered all
over the place, and often owned by a single corporation. If that corporation
decides to close shop or censor the conversations, any "community" that was
built up suffers for it.

I like podcasts, too. In fact, I like them very much. But I don't think they
are a replacement for Usenet. I think it serves a different need entirely,
in fact.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com
Newlan's Truism:
	An "acceptable" level of unemployment means that the government
	economist to whom it is acceptable still has a job.