[clue-talk] best/worst/most interesting distro?

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 07:57:05 MDT 2010

That reputation is deserved. You only get a command-line distro after installing. You need to install X, GNOME, etc, yourself. The result is a lot less clutter and you have what you want. It also means you need to have some knowledge of Linux. I don't recommend it for beginners, but I sometimes recommend it to more savvy users.

As to why some are the most popular, I can think of a few reasons. Some people only want to use one of the leaders. That's a valid concern. A minor distro could disappear. The major distros might also be more polished and have a bigger repository.