[clue-talk] best/worst/most interesting distro?

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Oct 5 19:41:58 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 21:13 -0600, Mike Bean wrote:

> I keep an eye on distrowatch, and I don't think it'll shock anyone to
> assert that most people use the to 6 or so distros on their list, both
> at home and at work, but I got a little curious.  Someone's using
> those other distros, somewhere...  So I thought I'd just come over and
> ask for opinions,  what's your best/worst/most interesting distro?
> What do you use at home?  Provided there are those of us out there,
> who don't automatically use Ubuntu.

I use Fedora at home and have been using Fedora and Redhat consistently
for many, many years.  It is my personal reference point as to what
Linux should be and I've been very happy with it.

I'm now using Ubuntu at work for a personal workstation and Redhat
Enterprise and SuSE among others.  Ubuntu is equal to Fedora plus
slightly easier access to software and settings that make a more
comfortable personal environment.  I'm really enjoying it and I
appreciate the innovations they've made.

I've always heard about various Linux distributions but have never felt
they had a compelling reason to leave.  Many of us left Slackware way
back when because Redhat had rpm support and that clearly made the
distribution better.  But without a killer app, I don't see a need to
try the smaller distributions.

We should all be very thankful that we have so much to choose from and
can find such rewards in something developed cooperatively and offered
for free.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services