[clue-talk] Enterprise level hosting provider

Greg Knaddison Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Wed Sep 15 07:28:44 MDT 2010

Rackspace has three major kinds of hosting, so it's important to know
which you're talking about.

Rackspace "Managed Hosting" is physical hardware (this is what they
build their name on and is simple to understand).

Rackspace Cloud Servers are virtual private servers which can be built
on top of popular distros, and have their resources re-allocated
somewhat dynamically (it requires a reboot, but works). This is based
on slicehost.com which RackSpace bought. You can call support and get
to the same technicians that support their dedicated servers,
especially if you have a lot of VPS machines with them, but they also
have a lower tier or two first. Much cheaper for a single server.

Rackspace Cloud Sites which is a grid kind of cloud where your site is
on a cluster of servers. They measure "compute units" and charge you
for bandwidth, disk, and compute units. Pages are served in about 2
seconds. Always. Get a spike of traffic? Still 2 seconds. Have a site
with no visitors? Still 2 seconds. Cheaper than a single dedicated
server, more expensive than a single "cloud server".

Ski Dawg: Is it important to you whether the hosting company is "local" or not?

A few "enterprise" types of companies I suggest:

* Voxel - which is NYC based.
* NeoSpire - Texas based.
* Rackspace - especially for the cloud servers.
* Amazon EC2 along with EBS and perhaps RDS can be useful, but you
have to understand how ephemeral their cloud is when you design your
application. Also, considering buying their support when you compare
apples-to-apples with Rackcloud servers.
* Linode, Rimuhost, and probably a dozen other commodity VPS hosts
which are not quite as "enterprise" but are quite good.

I only have direct experience with Rackspace and Amazon's offerings.

Regards,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | 720-310-5623 | http://growingventuresolutions.com