[clue-talk] Windows uggh!

Yaverot Yaverot at computermail.net
Sat Jan 1 13:13:11 MST 2011

--- beandaemon at gmail.com wrote:
> What about those linux based recovery CD's I keep hearing so much about.  Boot to a live CD and AV scan?

I've heard of these before, too. Anyone found a good one?  A quick Google search pulls up two common problems for people looking for these:

1. NTFS. Are the current drivers safe for writing? Are there multiple drivers for "some yes, some no?" (My windows system is 98 for games bought as recently as 2005.)
2. kitchen-sink.  Knoppix also happens to have ?Clam hidden somewhere in everything it has.  It can do the job, but only if I already know it is in there.  And being an anti-badware tool isn't Knoppix's focus.

And I ask the question not just to increase my knowledge, but because I might need to burn a couple and hand them to friends, who'll accept "Put this CD in, reboot the system. Do X. Then call me if the problem still exists."