[clue-tech] Screensaver solved

Roger Frank rfrank at linuxclassroom.org
Thu Aug 17 06:01:16 MDT 2000

screensaver
---------
The option I needed turned out to be simple.  Here is the line
in /etc/X11/xdm/Xserver:
	:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -s 600
It sets the delay until the screensaver starts to 600 minutes.
There are several other options.  "-v" and "v" choose
whether or not to blank the screen or to put up a varying
sized "X" (as in X-windows).  I want the login prompt to
stay up and this does the trick.

xvidtune did not stick
---------------
On setting the geometry to make it stick, I run xvidtune on
the running, if misaligned desktop.  I write down the numbers
it reports, top to bottom, two columns as in a newspaper article.
These are the numbers that show up in the mode line.
Then I use xvidtune to get the display right, and record
the new numbers in the same sequence to be used later.
Then I edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config and search for
the original numbers .  It finds the mode line that the
server uses in a heartbeat.  Then I blow away the other
unused modelines.  Finally, I edit in the correct numbers
for the properly aligned desktop to get the display where I
want it to be.  It's easy once clue-tech showed me how.

Thanks again.

--
Roger Frank
rfrank at linuxclassroom.org